Speaking about how Sushant died without knowing how much he was loved, he said in an interview with Indiatoday.com, “It is so strange. People were leaving Kedarnath saying Sushant is not a star. I was fighting for that movie. I put money from my own pocket to finish it. I was under so much pressure, but I had conviction so I had to make the film.”
According to the report, the director also admitted that he knew the actor ‘was in pain’ while shooting their last film together, ‘Kedarnath’.
Sharing his surprise over the sudden uproar surrounding Rajput’s death, he said, “The thing is, once he passed away, the whole world became his fan. But it was not always like that.”
He also shared his thoughts on the ‘tragedy’ of the actor’s death. “There was a system that didn’t let him believe how much he was loved. He did not get it. When he passed away, it’s like the whole country exploded and declared how much they loved him. That’s the tragedy,” he said.
Sushant made his Bollywood debut in Kapoor’s ‘Kai Po Che’. He went on to star in the director’s romance-drama ‘Kedarnath’ that marked actress Sara Ali Khan‘s Bollywood debut.
In an emotional post last year, the director penned a note to the late star that read, “I have vivid memories of our times together brother.. How I wish u knew how much u were loved by ur fans..how I wish that u were not made to believe otherwise by some vicious minds.. How I wish u could see how ur fans are fighting to bring u justice.. they have turned the world upside down for u and I can almost hear u say “jaane do sir, kaam bolega”
Sushant’s death on June 14 was initially ruled as an accidental death by hanging. However, investigations in the case are still being carried out by three central agencies – the CBI, the NCB and the ED.