The actor was rumoured to be working on a $301 million deal for his possible return as the famed Disney character after he won his defamation case against ex-wife Amber Heard. In a statement to NBC News, Johnny‘s rep answered questions about the rumour, but, unfortunately for his fans, it’s not true!
“This is made up,” read the statement to the portal.
Just last week, rumours ran wild that the actor could just be sailing back into theatres as the famed pirate in an upcoming film.
“Disney is very interested in patching up their relationship with Johnny Depp,” a source told PopTopic close to four years after the actor parted ways with the production company. “They are very hopeful that Johnny will forgive them and return as his iconic character.”
An industry insider claimed that the company is preparing a $301 million deal as a formal apology and a request for the actor to return as the much-loved character. “They reached out to the actor prior to his defamation trial against Amber Heard and asked whether he would be interested in returning for another Pirates film or two,” the report stated.
During the defamation trial, Heard’s attorney asked, “Is Disney aware that Mr Depp has testified under oath that he would not take another ‘Pirates of the Caribbean‘ franchise role for $300 million and a million alpacas?”
The deal in question also allegedly included a sizable donation to a charity of Depp’s choice. It was reported that the team is working on a film and a possible series about the early life of the Captain.
Meanwhile, Pirates of the Caribbean 6 is still currently in development, with Margot Robbie in talks to join. In an interview with the Sunday Times, producer Jerry Bruckheimer was asked if the team was still going forward with ‘POC 6’. He said “Yes. We’re talking to Margot Robbie. We are developing two Pirates scripts — one with her, one without.”